Thursday, April 06, 2006

More on the Vause family in Crowle

Yesterday I was again at the LDS Family History Centre in Johannesburg, trying to sort out information about the Vause family in Crowle, Lincolnshire. I had looked at the microfilm of the 1861 census serveral months ago, but had forgotten that I hadn't looked to the end of the roll. So this time I started at the end and worked back to where I had got to last time.

This time, too, I made notes in the Genota genealogy note-taking program, in order to try it out, and see how well it works. It seems quite a useful program for that purpose, and i hope to be able to make suggestions to the authors on how to improve it.

Unfortunately the burial records for Crowle have a break between 1863-1873. In 1863 a new cemetery opened, and only those buried in vaults of brick graves were recorded in the parish burial registers. John Vause senior is supposed to have died in 1863, and his son the following year, so the gap makes it difficult. Also, I haven't been able to find any other record of John Junior's wife and children. did they die in the same period, or did they move away?

No comments: